8 am, May 20, 2017. Please call us at 609-296-8868 if you can help.
The art of blacksmithing is not new to Tuckerton. There have been blacksmith shops in our town for over 100 years. The 1895 Sanborn map of our town shows a blacksmith shop on the lake that is across the street from the Seaport. Blacksmiths were an important part of the community, and their work was used in the community in many ways.
Little Egg Harbor resident Stephen Nuttall is working with us here at the Seaport to open up a blacksmith shop here on the site, right behind Parker’s Decoy Shop. This fulfills a dream we have had for many years and will add to the story we tell of how people lived and worked on the Barnegat Bay and Pinelands. In addition, it fulfills our goal of preserving traditional arts through the Jersey Shore Folklife Center. Once the shop is up and running, visitors will be able to see the iron being pounded, and even get a chance to work themselves through classes here at the Museum.
Stephen has a Folk Arts Apprenticeship grant from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, working with Master Blacksmith Toby Kroll. Toby is the blacksmith at Batsto and is a third generation blacksmith and farrier.
As Stephen states, “Our blacksmith shop will serve as an example of folk art that is an important to our history. Not only is it important to keep traditional folk arts alive through exhibitions, it is important to encourage others to continue this tradition. By adding a blacksmith shop on its grounds the Tuckerton Seaport could reach out and encourage a new audience to visit and learn.”
The grant funding supports blacksmith programming.
Click on thelink below to see video about Steve and his apprenticeship