For years Ocean County Library has provided the community with books and reference services.
Now you can come to the library to explore your creative side.
Many library branches will help you channel their creative side by taking part, along with over 100 libraries, businesses and community groups, in the second annual NJ Makers Day on Friday, March 18 and Saturday, March 19.
NJ Makers Day emphasizes technology, fine arts and crafting, while providing guidance and materials that allow the community to explore the DIY world.
“Traditionally, the library has offered crafts, experiments, discussion and story times. In recent years, we have begun to reorganize and repurpose some of these traditional standbys with STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) themes and a maker focus,” said Jeannie Collacott, Teen Services.
NJ Makers Day visitors will check out the latest in maker technology with exhibits and interactive demonstrations. Activities are planned for all ages and skill levels. They include three-dimensional printing, computer programming, circuitry design and video editing.
“The Ocean County Library is part of the steadily growing maker movement,” said Glynis Wray, Youth Services. “We’re showing that libraries are a fun way to help teach customers to think creatively.”
The Toms River branch will preview its new SparkLab makerspace. It features 3D printers, single board microcontrollers, robotics, crafting machinery and more.
The Barnegat (112 Burr St., 609-698-3331), Island Heights (121 Central Ave., 732-270-6266) and Pt. Pleasant Borough (834 Beaver Dam Rd., 732-295-1555) branches celebrate NJ Makers Day on March 18.
Eight Ocean County Library branches will participate on March 19:
- Waretown, 112 Main St., 609-693-5133, 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- Barnegat, 112 Burr St., 609-698-3331, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Berkeley, 30 Station Rd., 732-269-2144, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Toms River, 101 Washington St., 732-349-6200, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Beachwood, 126 Beachwood Blvd., 732-244-4573, 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Tuckerton, 380 Bay Ave., 609-296-1470, 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Pt. Pleasant Beach, 710 McLean Ave., 732-892-4575, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Jackson, 2 Jackson Drive, 732-928-4400, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
NJ Makers Day programs are free and open to the public. For a complete schedule call the branch or go to the library website (www.theoceancountylibrary.org).
Information about statewide NJ Makers Day events can be found online at www.njmakersday.org.